COVID-19 & Legislation Updates | Weekly Workplace Recap from June 11 to June 17, 2021
Provides COVID-19 Featured Updates for Ontario Employers
The COVID-19: Help for Businesses in Ontario webpage has new featured updates and resources for employers:
- Applications are now open for the Ontario Tourism and Travel Small Business Support Grant.
- Learn about opening an onsite vaccination clinic if your business is in a hot spot community.
- Find out if your business is eligible for grants to help with the cost of your property taxes and energy bills.
- Learn more about providing employees with up to three days of paid leave because of certain reasons related to COVID-19.
For further Ontario small business resources and supports, check out this webpage.
Updates Guidance Documents for Alberta's Open for Summer Plan
The Chief Medical Officer of Health has updated the following COVID-19 guidance documents for Stage 2 of Alberta's Open for Summer Plan:
- Guidance for workplace closures in high case areas
- Guidance for public outdoor gatherings
- Guidance for food services and sales (June 2021)
- Guidance for sport, fitness and recreation (June 2021)
- Guidance for performing arts (June 2021)
CMOH Order 33-2021 outlines COVID-19 masking restrictions for Stage 2 of Alberta’s Open for Summer Plan and is effective June 10, 2021.
Launches Employer Reimbursement Program for COVID-19 Paid Sick Leave
Starting today, June 17, 2021, employers can apply for reimbursement of wages paid to workers who have taken sick leave related to COVID-19.
The temporary reimbursement program is retroactive to May 20, when legislation was passed to ensure sick workers can stay home for up to three days without losing wages.
The amendments to the ESA require employers to pay sick workers their regular wages. Employers can then apply for reimbursement up to $200 per day, to a maximum of three days per worker.
Any employer whose workers are covered under the ESA but does not currently provide paid sick leave benefits to its employees will be eligible.
For more information, check out this update.
Updates Orders & Guidance Documents for Step 2 of Restart Plan
As of Tuesday, June 15, 2021, BC is transitioning into Step 2 of it's Restart plan which includes lifting restrictions on travel within the province.
The Provincial Health Officer has released the following updated orders and guidance documents:
Gatherings and Events (order)
Food and Liquor Serving Premises (order)
Indoor Exercise Requirements (guidance)
For more information, check out his news release.